UAE welcomes allies' participation in tanker sabotage investigation
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs says the participation of many partners shows Abu Dhabi's commitment to an 'impartial process'
The UAE has welcomed the participation of many allied countries in the international investigation into the attack on four tankers in the regional waters of the UAE in the Gulf of Oman earlier this month.
The attacks took place against Emirati, Saudi and Norwegian tankers off the coast of the UAE near Fujairah port.
"The participation of our international partners confirms the UAE’s commitment to a transparent and impartial investigative process," the UAE Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation said in a statement.
"The joint investigation is a testament of the international community’s collective commitment to ensuring maritime traffic safety and security, protecting international trade flows, and safeguarding energy supplies."
A source at the ministry told The National that the investigation remains ongoing and the public will be updated with the probe has run its full course.
Norway has joined both the United States and Saudi Arabia in the investigation into the incident. Reports have also indicated that France is helping in the investigation.
The incident prompted widespread condemnation from countries across the Middle East.
The US Ambassador to Saudi Arabia, John Abizaid, urged a thorough investigation, but said any response should stop short of war.
"It's not in our interest, it's not in Saudi Arabia’s interest, to have a conflict," Mr Abizaid told reporters in the Saudi capital Riyadh.
Iran's foreign ministry spokesman, Abbas Mousavi, also urged an investigation into the exact causes of the incident in a statement issued shortly after the event, advising against "plots by ill-wishers".
Updated: May 23, 2019 10:24 AM