<p>Global aviation ravaged by the coronavirus pandemic as US deaths pass 100,000</p>
Hello from The National in Abu Dhabi. Here are your morning updates:
- The global aviation industry is reeling from the impact of the pandemic with Boeing, American Airlines and EasyJet the latest to announce mass job cuts..
- The death toll from Covid-19 in the US has now passed 100,000.
- A group of volunteers is monitoring aid sent to help African countries with the pandemic amid fears it will be diverted for corrupt ends.
- Shopping malls and public beaches in Ras Al Khaimah have been permitted to reopen.
- The UAE announced 563 new cases, with 314 people recovering and three new deaths.
- A UAE resident has chronicled his long journey home after two months stuck in the UK.
- The English Premier League football season is set to restart on June 17.
Follow our live blog for the latest coronavirus news from the region and beyond.
LATEST GLOBAL NUMBERS
Confirmed cases: 5,768,908
As of 1.00am GMT on May 29, 2020.
IN OTHER NEWS...
In the first attacks since the recent three-day ceasefire, fourteen members of the Afghan security forces have been killed.
Algeria has recalled its ambassador to Paris after taking offence at documentaries about the anti-government protests aired on French public television.
Find out how coronavirus has boosted interest in the archives of Arab filmmakers.
Watch: the heartwarming moment a mother and son were reunited in the UAE after she was left stranded abroad by the pandemic.
Listen to: our Beyond the Headlines podcast, which chronicles mankind’s ongoing battle with malaria.
Deputy Editor-in Chief