The destruction of the command centre will severely impact communication among the rebels, reports WAM
UAE's Armed Forces destroy a Houthi command centre in Yemen's Hais district
The UAE Armed Forces in the Arab coalition fighting on behalf of the internationally recognised government of Yemen destroyed a command centre of the Houthi rebels in the Hais district.
The Iran-backed group stored weapons and ammunition in the centre, which was strategically located to serve the fighters stationed in different parts of the district, reported UAE’s state news agency, Wam, on Wednesday.
“It’s destruction will severely impact communication among the fighters,” said the report.
“The operation was executed with the support of the coalition forces in support of the legitimate government of Yemen.”
The UAE forces also destroyed in an air strike a Houthi vehicle that was carrying weapons and ammunition.
A Saudi-led coalition, which includes the UAE, intervened in the Yemen war in 2015 to fight the rebels in favour of the legitimate government of Yemen’s president Abdrabu Mansur Hadi.
Meanwhile, two Houthi officials were killed by the Yemeni army in the Saada province north of the capital Sanaa on Wednesday.
The two officers, identified as Maj Gen Saleh Mohammed Saad Al Rubaee and Col Salaheddine Mohammed Nasser Saylan, were killed with five other members of the Houthi militia in fierce clashes on the Al Buka battlefront, reported the military-run 26 September news site.
In Al Jawf province, about 140 kilometres south of Sanaa, Yemen’s army — backed by the Saudi-led coalition — captured military sites that had been occupied by the rebels.
“Many Houthis were killed and at least 15 were arrested,” Ramzi Mokhtar, an Al Jawf-based journalist, told The National.
The war has displaced more than two million people and pushed the country to the brink of famine. At least 10,000 people have been killed.