x Abu Dhabi, UAEFriday 21 July 2017

Al Qa'eda group behind embassy hits

An al Qa'eda umbrella group in Iraq claims responsibility for a triple suicide bombing outside foreign embassies in Baghdad, which killed more than 40 people.

A resident walks past a site destroyed by a bomb attack near the Iranian Embassy in Baghdad on Monday, April 5, 2010.
A resident walks past a site destroyed by a bomb attack near the Iranian Embassy in Baghdad on Monday, April 5, 2010.

BAGHDAD // Today, al Qa'eda's umbrella group in Iraq claimed responsibility for a triple suicide bombing outside foreign embassies in Baghdad, which killed more than 40 people. The group, known as the Islamic State of Iraq, posted a statement on a website that carries al Qa'eda and other militant declarations. The statement said the embassy attacks last Sunday were a "new strike into the heart of the security plan" in the Iraqi capital. It also said "all diplomatic corps, embassies and international organisations" dealing with the Iraqi government are "legitimate targets."

The embassy bombings are part of a wave of recent violence in and around the capital that has killed some 120 people in a week. The bloodshed suggests insurgents are seizing on political uncertainty after March elections to try to destabilise Iraq as US troops prepare to leave. The US military plans to reduce troop levels from some 96,000 to 50,000 by August 31, when it will end combat operations. As part of an agreement with Iraq, the US will withdraw all forces by the end of 2011.

Today, thousands gathered in the holy city of Najaf, shouting "Iraq is for Iraqis" and "There is no place for occupiers" during an annual march organised by anti-American cleric Muqtada al Sadr to mark the anniversary of the fall of Baghdad. "If you stay united, you will defeat the occupier and get them out of our sacred land," said Mr al Sadr's aide Sayyid Hazim Al Araji, reading a speech on the behalf of the cleric, who is living in Iran.

"If you divide, the occupier and its supporters will stay in our land," he said. Speaking earlier this week, US Brig Gen Ralph Baker said that he understands there are "some Iraqis that think the US military will never leave Iraq." But, he emphasised, the drawdown plans were on track and have not changed despite the recent violence. Extremists seem to be trying to provoke mayhem as Iraq's politicians negotiate to form a stable government after the March 7 parliamentary election that failed to produce a clear winner.

A secular front-runner bloc is currently holding talks with religious Shiite parties - a threatening prospect for insurgents whose stock-in-trade is rage, not peace. The attacks could further stoke sectarian tensions, which in turn may make Shiite parties less likely to join former prime minister Ayad Allawi, a secular Shiite backed by Sunnis. Mr Allawi's political coalition, Iraqiya, came out ahead in the vote, narrowly edging prime minister Nouri al Maliki's bloc by just two seats. Mr Allawi has raised the prospect that terror attacks will only increase if the negotiations over forming a new government drag on for months.

The Islamic State of Iraq today denied that it had anything to do with another attack earlier this week, when bombs ripped through apartment buildings and a market in mostly Shiite areas of Baghdad, killing 50. Other recent violence includes the shooting deaths of a Shiite couple and four of their children in their home outside Baghdad on Monday. And one week ago, gunmen went house-to-house in a Sunni area south of Baghdad, killing 24 villagers.

* AP