UAE school food poisoning pupils discharged from hospital
All but two of the 30 school children who suffered food poisoning in two Al Ain schools have been sent home
Most of the pupils affected by food poisoning in Al Ain have been discharged from hospital.
A total of 30 pupils from two schools in Al Ain were struck with food poisoning on Thursday.
The pupils were initially treated in school clinics before being transported to hospitals and medical clinics. The schools’ food supplier was suspended following the incident.
A statement released on Saturday by the Department of Health Abu Dhabi said most of the pupils have now fully recovered.
Two children were still in hospital on Saturday, but were expected to be discharged within hours.
''We are monitoring the situation around the clock with the medical operations command centre, which is communicating with government and private health facilities to provide an effective response and world-class healthcare,'' said a spokesperson for the department in a statement released on Wam.
The department praised the first responders and medical teams at school clinics, hospitals and health centres for their response, as well as efforts to contain the issue.
On Thursday, the Ministry of Education said an emergency committee had been formed in co-ordination with the Abu Dhabi Food Control Authority to send inspectors to investigate the case and take necessary action.
Dr Omniyat Al Hajiri, Director of Public Health, said on Thursday that 48 pupils were reported to be ill and directly admitted to medical clinics. In total, 16 of them were transferred to Al Ain and Tawam hospitals for medical care.
“48 pupils were reported ill due to food poisoning, 30 of them suffered from moderate symptoms and 19 had mild symptoms,” said Dr Al Hajiri.
“16 were transferred to Al Ain and Tawam hospital for further check-ups and medical attention. All the cases are stable and there were no reports of severe cases,” she said.
Dr Al Hajiri said that the pupils suffered from abdominal pain and vomiting while some had diarrhoea.
Updated: September 8, 2018 02:33 PM