Abu Dhabi, UAESunday 19 May 2019

Man arrested in Dubai for murder that took place 14 years ago

Pakistani returned to the UAE thinking that any charges against him would be dropped by now but he was wrong.

A Pakistani man has been arrested over a murder that took place 14 years ago after he reentered the country thinking that the charge would have been dropped by now, heard Dubai Criminal Court on Tuesday.

Two men who took part in the crime were arrested, charged and convicted of the murder on April 17, 2004, each being sentenced to life in jail, followed by deportation. However, the Pakistani accused was never caught as he left the country immediately after the murder happened.

Prosecutors said he, along with the two jailed - another Pakistani, 39, and an Indian tailor, 36 - attacked the victim, whose nationality and age were not given, at his shop in Naif on April 20, 2003.

The tailor said he acted as a lookout while the other two hit the victim with a solid object on the head before stabbing him in the chest, neck and arms.

They stole his mobile phones, Dh300 in cash and his ATM card, which they later used to withdraw Dh5,500 and split it among them.

Police managed to track down and apprehend the tailor after he was caught by an ATM camera withdrawing cash from the deceased’s account.

“The relatives of the victim reported that someone has been withdrawing from their dead man’s bank account, so we investigated and found a recording of the tailor withdrawing the cash,” said a police lieutenant, 39.

The tailor admitted being involved and tipped police off about his accomplices, who were both found to be outside the country.

“One returned three months later and was arrested at Dubai International Airport but the third remained at large, to be arrested only two months ago. He was caught when he returned to Dubai,” said the officer.

The two already jailed told police that the third was the mastermind who planned the theft, the officer added.

“They said that he was facing financial difficulties so suggested that they steal from the victim but he never mentioned anything about killing the man,” the officer said.

In court, the 46-year-old defendant denied charges of premeditated murder and theft.

The next hearing will be on August 6 to appoint the accused a defence lawyer after he told the court that he cannot afford one.

Updated: July 11, 2017 02:09 PM