Abu Dhabi, UAEWednesday 20 March 2019

UAE legal Q&As: will an old shoplifting conviction appear on my permanent record?

A reader asks if a shoplifting conviction will appear on his criminal record and another asks if they can file a case against a company for ceasing construction on a property they purchased

I was born and raised in Abu Dhabi. I am a 23-year-old college student and full-time employee. In December 2016 I was found guilty of shoplifting goods worth Dh120. I am innocent but had argued with the shop-owner who then decided to file a case against me. I was given a one-month suspended sentence by the court. I have now applied for a job in Dubai and my employer is asking me to submit a police clearance certificate. Is Dubai's criminal investigation department connected to Abu Dhabi's? If my case is only in Abu Dhabi Police's records, can I request a clearance certificate from Dubai?

It is highly likely that should you apply for a police clearance certificate the case will still appear in your criminal records regardless of where you apply for it from.

I invested in a real estate unit in Dubai but construction stopped on the site for more than one year, do I have the right to file a case on this ground?

Yes, if the construction on the site stopped for more than 6 months as per the local real estate laws in Dubai you have the right to request the termination of the contract and request a refund of the paid amount plus interest of 9 per cent, court charges and other expenses.

If you have a question for our lawyer, please email it to media@professionallawyer.me with the subject line “Know the law”.

Updated: April 16, 2018 06:32 PM