x Abu Dhabi, UAEThursday 27 July 2017

Sacking of Australia coach Mickey Arthur troubles David Warner

Batsman concedes he needs to improve attitude after being punished for Twitter row with journalists and bar brawl with England's Joe Root.

David Warner is open to batting at number six for Australia. Ryan Pierse / Getty Images
David Warner is open to batting at number six for Australia. Ryan Pierse / Getty Images
Controversial batsman David Warner has conceded he cannot afford to step out of line again after expressing his guilt at the role he may have had in Mickey Arthur's sacking as Australia coach.
Warner was given a brief suspension from the Australian set-up on June 13 until the first Ashes Test following an unprovoked attack on Joe Root, the England batsman, at a Birmingham bar after the two teams had contested an ICC Champions Trophy match last month.
The left-hander had also been given the maximum fine and warned of his future conduct in May by Cricket Australia after posting unsavoury comments on Twitter towards journalists Robert Craddock and Malcolm Conn.
It has therefore been a forgettable few months for Warner, who was absent for the gripping first Ashes encounter at Trent Bridge and will miss the second Test at Lord's as he goes to Africa with Australia's A squad to gain match practice.
Should he regain his place later on in the series, the 26 year old knows he has to stay on the straight and narrow, but he revealed new Australia coach Darren Lehmann would not treat him differently because of his recent poor behaviour.
"Darren's just said to go out there and score runs and be myself," Warner said to the Australian media. "Just get that X-factor back that I can have for this team so hopefully I can score some runs. Definitely still enjoy myself off the field.
"There's no bans, there's no curfews, no nothing. The mistakes, I've learned, I've become more mature, off the field as well. I know if I stuff up again I'm on the first plane home. No-one needs to tell you that because you already know it."
There was speculation Warner's troubles may have played a part in Australia deciding to part company with Arthur, who had overseen a series of poor results in his final few months in charge.
"It was probably another thing that was gutting, that I may have played a part in that," Warner added.
Warner was keen to express his remorse at his behaviour, but believes his suspension has helped him to discover a new maturity.
"As a kid growing up you want to play in the Ashes and after that incident I went back to my room and I was pretty shattered for a week and a half, two weeks. I still feel the guilt of what happened," he said.
"I rang my mum and dad and told them I wasn't playing. And I kind of broke down on the phone to mum and it's just one of those things you ask your mum and dad what could I have done better in those situations and you don't want to really go into it as much, but I've matured a lot since that incident and now it's all about me trying to play cricket again."
Looking ahead to the future, Warner, who is usually an opener for Australia, revealed he is likely to bat further down the order when he does return to the national set-up.
"I've been spoken to about batting six and that's the role I'm looking forward to being part of this team," Warner added.
sports@thenational.ae
twitter Follow us @SprtNationalUAE