Joe Philbin, head coach of the Miami Dolphins, says the decision to cut the controversial wide receiver just hours after his arrest was not a reactionary one.
NFL: Dolphins cut Chad Johnston as he did not 'fit' with team plans, insists coach
The 34-year-old had joined the Dolphins in a bid to revive his career, and had played one pre-season game before his arrest following the incident with his new wife at the weekend.
The team had issued a one-sentence statement on Sunday night to confirm Johnson had been axed, but yesterday Joe Philbin, the Dolphins' head coach, insisted the decision was not just in response to the player's arrest.
"As with any type of these decisions, it was not an easy one, it was not reactive, nor was it based on one single incident," he said.
"In making these decisions we base our evaluations on a set of criteria that support our organisational goals and include a player's performance both on and off the field."
Johnson, who had changed his name back from Chad Ochocinco last month, joined the Dolphins looking for a fresh start after a lacklustre season with the New England Patriots where he had 15 receptions for 276 yards and one touchdown.
"It was more a body of evidence from June 11th forward," said Philbin.
"When he came in on June 11, we sat down and we talked and I was very clear as to the expectations of the program. It just didn't work out.
"It's more about the fit; in my gut I didn't think the fit was going to be beneficial to either party moving forward, whether in the short-term or the long-term.
"That's really what it was all about. It wasn't about one specific thing."
Follow us @SprtNationalUAE