x Abu Dhabi, UAEFriday 21 July 2017

Feindouno on hunt for new club after being released by Dubai on deadline day following failed medical

The Guinean midfielder insists there is nothing wrong with his health despite being axed by the Pro League side following a failed medical last month.

Simon Pierre Feindouno celebrates scoring for Dubai against Al Wasl - but is now hunting for a new club.
Simon Pierre Feindouno celebrates scoring for Dubai against Al Wasl - but is now hunting for a new club.

DUBAI // Simon Feindouno insists there is nothing wrong with his health and the Guinean midfielder is looking for a club to resume his career after becoming a free agent on the final day of the winter transfer window.

Dubai were forced to take Feindouno, a fan favourite at the club, off their team list after the 27-year-old failed to pass a medical test held under the supervision of the Dubai Health Authorities last month.

As per the DHA instructions, football players at Dubai clubs have to undergo regular check-ups, including ECG (electrocardiogram) and Echocardiogram tests, to make sure there are no health issues. The tests have become more stringent since November, 2009, when Al Nasr's Salem Saad suffered a massive heart attack during a training session and passed away.

While Dubai officials have refused to comment on Feindouno's medical report, club sources claimed he had failed to pass his cardiac tests. The player, however, has gone and got another test done, and claims he has a green signal to resume his career.

"There are no issues with my health," Feindouno said. "My heart is fine and I am ready to start playing football again.

"I am a free agent now, so I can sign for any club even after the transfer window closes. I would certainly like to stay here in the UAE, but let us see what happens."

Feindouno had a meeting with officials of Dubai on Monday night, just hours before the close of the winter transfer window in the UAE, to discuss his future. But with little time for a transfer or loan deal to go through, the two parties decided to "amicably" terminate their contract, leaving the former Nice and Lens player free to continue his career at a club of his choice.

"We had no intention of terminating his services and we were really saddened by the results of the medical tests," Khalifa bin Humaidan, the vice-president of Dubai club, had told reporters earlier. "His departure is a huge loss for us since he is a player of great talent and abilities, and had served the team really well.

"But at the same, the management of the club and the coaching staff could not take the risk of allowing him to continue with the team, keeping in mind the possible consequences."

Dubai had first hired Spaniard Juan Quero as a replacement for Feindouno, but a day before the close of the winter transfer window, they brought in Rodrigo Vergilio instead. The Brazilian striker had turned out for Al Shaab in the first-half of the season before being released last month.

sports@thenational.ae

twitter Follow us @SprtNationalUAE