Shaiman Anwar vows to clear name and 'make UAE proud again'
Batsman, 41, one of three UAE players suspended indefinitely after being charged with a variety of breaches of the sport’s corruption code
Shaiman Anwar says he still believes he could “make UAE proud again” after breaking his silence for the first time since being banned from cricket six months ago.
The 41-year-old batsman was one of three UAE players suspended indefinitely after being charged with a variety of breaches of the sport’s corruption code last October.
Shaiman, as well as captain Mohammed Naveed and fast-bowler Qadeer Ahmed, are awaiting judgement after being investigated by the ICC’s anti-corruption unit.
Naveed and Qadeer have both admitted to failing to report suspicious approaches, and each acknowledge it is unlikely they will play for the national team again.
Shaiman, who had not spoken publicly before this week, suggested he still sees a future with the national team, though.
“From Sialkot to UAE [I] played fair cricket,” Shaiman wrote on Twitter.
“I just played my game with passion honesty and for my country UAE.
“I don’t want to waste my all efforts which I have done in my career while playing in UAE tough conditions.
“Inshallah, I’ll win my case and will make UAE proud again.”
Shaiman, who remains the highest-ranked UAE batsman in the ICC player ratings despite not having played for more than half-a-year, was charged with two counts of breaching the corruption code.
The first relates to “contriving, or being party to an agreement or effort to fix or contrive or otherwise influence improperly, the result, progress, conduct or any other aspect of matches in the ICC World T20 Qualifiers 2019”.
The second relates to “failing to disclose to the ACU full details of any approaches or invitations received to engage in conduct in relation to the ICC World T20 Qualifiers 2019 that would amount to corrupt conduct under the code”.
Naveed faces similar charges, as well as two further similar ones related to the Abu Dhabi T10 league, which followed the T20 Qualifier last year.
He had been expecting to be presented with the ACU’s opening brief and evidence on Thursday, April 9.
However, the process has been delayed until the end of this month because of the restrictions in place to combat the spread of coronavirus.
All three players are now based back in Pakistan.
Ehsan Mani, the Pakistan Cricket Board chairman, spoke on the subject of corruption in cricket this week, saying he has discussed the prospect of it becoming a legal offence with the country’s government.
Speaking on a PCB podcast on Tuesday, Mani said: “I have already spoken to the government about this because other cricket playing countries like Australia, New Zealand and Sri Lanka have enacted laws that make match-fixing a criminal offence.”
Updated: April 15, 2020 06:52 PM