Dh404,000 Le Refuge daybed comes to Dubai
The bed will be installed at Downtown Design in Dubai. Here’s what makes it so inviting
- Le Refuge is the first piece of furniture created by Franco-Italian artist Marc Ange. The former luxury car designer, who works between Paris and Los Angeles, has a refined aesthetic that bridges the gap between art and design.
- Originally crafted from pink teakwood, perforated steel, Sunbrella fabric and a foam-based cushion, the bed is shaped to resemble a jungle-like oasis, shaded by a canopy of palm leaves.
- Ange has said that he hopes Le Refuge evokes “the projection of a childhood memory away from reality, just like those of the imaginary jungle that grows in the room of a child who seeks escape”.
- The daybeds have since been rendered in various shades, and using materials such as marble, black, yellow and blue teak, and brass and velvet. Each bed is 290 centimetres tall, 270cm wide and 300cm long.
- The pastel pink creation was named the most Instagrammed piece at Milan Design Week in 2017. Since then, it has been spotted at the Beverly Hills Hotel in Los Angeles and Miami Art Basel. A new iteration (pictured) will be on display during Dubai Design Week, on the terrace of the Downtown Design fair, from November 13 to 16.
- Ange creates Le Refuge under his furniture brand LJ Edition, which he launched soon after moving to California last year. The designer also runs the Bloom Room studio, which has created products and set-ups for luxury brands such as Jean Paul Gaultier, Prada, Louis Vuitton, Ferrari, Peugeot, Moët & Chandon, Citroën, Paco Rabanne and Orient Express.
- Some of Ange’s other sought-after furniture pieces include Le Refuge floor lamps in wood or marble, Les Araignées armchairs and Le Roi lounge chairs, which are shaped to resemble a gigantic teddy bear.
Updated: November 5, 2018 03:31 PM