Harvey Weinstein accused of raping three women in New Yorker story
Actress Asia Argento and a former aspiring actress named Lucia Evans went on the record to the magazine to allege that the film producer forced himself on them sexually. A third woman spoke anonymously
The New Yorker reported on Tuesday that Harvey Weinstein raped three women, significantly intensifying the scandal surrounding the disgraced film producer. A representative for Mr Weinstein vehemently denied the allegations in a statement to the magazine.
The online expose detailed allegations not just of sexual harassment but of three incidents involving rape. Actress Asia Argento and a former aspiring actress named Lucia Evans went on the record to allege that Mr Weinstein forced himself on them sexually. A third woman spoke anonymously.
Attorneys for Mr Weinstein did not immediately return messages on Tuesday. The New Yorker quoted Weinstein representative Sallie Hofmeister responding that "any allegations of non-consensual sex are unequivocally denied by Mr. Weinstein".
The story, written by Ronan Farrow, revealed that thirteen women have said Mr Weinstein sexually harassed or assaulted them between 1990 and 2015. The incidents described range from unwanted groping to rape. Some of those incidents overlap with the eight allegations of sexual harassment previously reported by The New York Times, all of which resulted in financial settlements.
But they also go much further. In the article, actresses Patricia Arquette and Mira Sorvino are among those who claim Mr Weinstein sexually harassed them.
Representatives for the actresses did not immediately return messages seeking comment.
The New Yorker also reported that 16 former and current executives and assistants at The Weinstein Co and Miramax either witnessed or knew of Mr Weinstein's unwanted sexual advances. "All sixteen said the behaviour was widely known within both Miramax and the Weinstein Company," the story said.
Representatives for The Weinstein Co didn't immediately respond to messages.
Mr Weinstein was fired on Sunday by The Weinstein Co, the studio he co-founded, three days after a bombshell New York Times expose alleged decades of crude sexual behaviour on his part towards female employees and actresses, including Ashley Judd.
Mr Weinstein responded to the report in a lengthy, rambling statement in which he pleaded for a second chance and apologised for the pain he had caused.
Since his firing, much of Hollywood has reacted with disgust and outraged, including Meryl Streep, Lena Dunham, Jennifer Lawrence and George Clooney. Congressional Democrats, including Senate minority leader Chuck Schumer and Massachusetts senator Elizabeth Warren, have given charities thousands of dollars in donations they had received from Mr Weinstein.
Mr Weinstein has not publicly commented since Thursday.
Updated: October 10, 2017 08:45 PM