Abu Dhabi, UAETuesday 18 February 2020

Netflix boss 'interested' in deal with Prince Harry and Meghan Markle

The pair could follow in the footsteps of Barack and Michelle Obama to work with the streaming giant

Now that Prince Harry and Meghan Markle have reached an agreement with the Queen that will see them step down as senior members of the royal family, they are free to earn a living however they please.

Given Meghan’s background in television, many have speculated that the pair could appear on our screens very soon, and now Netlflix’s chief content officer Ted Sarandos has added further fuel to the fire.

Speaking at an event in Los Angeles on Sunday, Sarandos declared he had his sights set on working with Harry and Meghan. “Who wouldn’t be interested? Yes, sure,” he said when questioned.

It wouldn’t be the first time Netflix had made such a move, having struck a lucrative deal with Barack and Michelle Obama back in 2018 to produce film and television projects.

Ted Sarandos, Netflix's chief content officer, arrives at the 26th annual Screen Actors Guild Awards at the Shrine Auditorium & Expo Hall on Sunday, Jan. 19, 2020, in Los Angeles. (Photo by Richard Shotwell/Invision/AP)
Ted Sarandos, Netflix's chief content officer. AP

It has already been revealed the Meghan, who formerly starred in US legal drama Suits, has signed a voiceover deal with Disney, the fee for which will be donated to charity, while Prince Harry has joined forces with Oprah Winfrey for an Apple TV+ documentary on mental health.

The news comes just days after Buckingham Palace confirmed an agreement over Harry and Meghan’s future as members of the royal family had been reached.

The pair have given up their Royal Highness titles and will no longer receive funds for public duties. The couple will also repay £2.4 million (Dh11.4m) in public funding that they were given to refurbish their cottage, as they plan to split their time between the UK and North America.

"Following many months of conversations and more recent discussions, I am pleased that together we have found a constructive and supportive way forward for my grandson and his family," the Queen said.

"I recognise the challenges they have experienced as a result of intense scrutiny over the last two years and support their wish for a more independent life."

Her comments referred to battles with the media that prompted Harry and Meghan to sue several newspapers over intrusions into their private lives. Queen Elizabeth said the couple and their son Archie would always be much loved members of her family.

Prince Harry on Sunday spoke of his sadness at stepping back from royal duties, but said there “really was no other option."

"I want you to hear the truth from me, as much as I can share not as a Prince, or a Duke, but as Harry, the same person that many of you have watched grow up over the last 35 years but with a clearer perspective," he said in a speech to the Sentebale charity. "The UK is my home and a place that I love. That will never change."

He added: "It brings me great sadness that it has come to this."

Updated: January 20, 2020 01:20 PM

SHARE

SHARE

Most Popular