Abu Dhabi, UAEFriday 13 December 2019

Protesters in Oman want security forces charged over deaths of demonstrators

Demand for members of the security forces who killed two protesters to be named and charges brought against them.

MUSCAT // Omani protesters yesterday asked the chief prosecutor to charge members of the security forces behind the killings of two demonstrators in separate clashes in Sohar.

One person died and eight other people were injured in the industrial city on Friday when security forces opened fire on a crowd of stone-throwing protesters. On February 27, Abdulla al Ghamlasi, a 36-year old businessman, was also killed by police gunfire during a protest.

Salah al Ajmi, a protester at a sit-in at the Shura Council's headquarters in Muscat, said yesterday: "We demand that the chief prosecutor name the members of the security forces who killed the two protesters and bring charges against them."

The protests in Sohar on Friday were in response to police removing the demonstrators on March 29 from two roundabouts where they had set up camps.

The security forces also arrested as many as 60 people, some as young as 17. The chief prosecutor, Hussain al Hilali, said they had been charged with violent misconduct.

On Tuesday, protesters had asked Mr al Hilali to drop charges against the detained demonstrators.

Demonstrations demanding better jobs, pay rises and an end to corruption began in the sultanate six months ago.

Oman's ruler, Sultan Qaboos bin Said, has embarked on a series of political and economic reforms since the unrest began.

He sacked 12 ministers, ordered that monthly unemployment benefits of 150 rials (Dh1,450) be paid and increased the salaries of civil servants.

 

salshaibany@thenational.ae

Updated: April 7, 2011 04:00 AM

SHARE

SHARE