Shamima Begum moved from refugee camp following threats
The family lawyer is planning to meet the 19-year-old ISIS affiliate in Syria
Shamima Begum and her baby have been moved from a Syrian refugee camp after threats were made against them, according to her family’s lawyer.
“All we know is that she was getting threats to her and her child and the authorities have moved her for her safety, but we don’t know where. We don’t know if she’s been moved out of the camp or not,” Ms Begum’s lawyer Tasnime Akunjee told The National.
British newspaper The Guardian reported on Friday that the 19-year-old and her son had been moved from the Al Hawl camp in northern Syria to another site near to the Iraqi border.
Mr Akunjee added that he has been “making inquiries” with the Home Office and other parties to arrange to meet Ms Begum.
On Thursday, a picture of Ms Begum being used as a bullseye target was posted from the Twitter account of a shooting range in Wallesey, northwest England, with the hashtags “no remorse” and “made your choice”.
The tweet was removed after a backlash from other social media users.
Ms Begum married Dutch ISIS fighter Yago Riedijk with whom she had two other children who both died. She wants to return to the UK with her new-born third child, but was stripped of her British citizenship by UK Home Secretary Sajid Javid.
Mr Javid made the decision after receiving advice that Ms Begum could qualify for Bangladeshi citizenship. Officials in Dhaka have said they won’t let her become a Bangladeshi national.
Updated: March 1, 2019 07:17 PM