Death toll in northern Lebanon clashes rises to 13
TRIPOLI // The death toll from a week of clashes in Lebanon between supporters and opponents of Syria’s regime has risen to 13.
Two people died in clashes on Saturday and another two were killed early on Sunday in the northern port city of Tripoli, a security official said, adding that scores more were wounded, including 16 in the past two days alone.
Sunni and Alawite gunmen have been fighting since last Monday in the Bab Al Tebbaneh and Jabal Mohsen districts of Tripoli, Lebanon’s second city.
Until Saturday, six Sunnis and three Alawites had been killed in the latest bout of fighting.
Residents of Bab Al Tebbaneh support the revolt against Bashar Al Assad, while those in Jabal Mohsen back the Syrian president . They have fought frequently since the Syrian conflict erupted in March 2011.
Tripoli is home to 200,000 people, 80 per cent of whom are Sunni Muslims, 6 to 7 per cent Alawites and the rest Christians.
Lebanon’s acting prime minister, Najib Mikati, said on Saturday that “security forces will take every step to put an end to the violence and chaos” in the city. “They will be strict and impartial.”
A security official said the army had separated the two sides and pushed them back.
The fighting broke out last Monday as a Lebanese private television station aired an interview with the Syrian president, in which he said the time was not ripe for a peace conference to try to resolve the 31-month conflict and said he was ready to run for re-election in 2014.
The violence prompted residents to flee the impoverished neighborhoods, and schools and universities have been closed since the middle of last week.
Lebanon is deeply divided into pro and anti-Damascus camps.
The division has widened since Lebanese Shiite movement Hizbollah admitted in May that it was sending fighters into Syria to support Mr Al Assad’s troops.
Small radical Sunni organisations have also sent men across the border to fight alongside the rebels, who are mainly Sunni.
Lebanon was dominated politically and militarily by Damascus for 30 years until 2005.
* Agence France-Presse
Updated: October 27, 2013 04:00 AM