Owner of Dubai information technology firm sues over defamatory emails that allegedly claimed he was a terrorist and al Qa’eda member.
Dubai investor sues over terrorist slur in emails
DUBAI // A 45-year-old investor is suing over what he says are defamatory remarks about him in e-mails claiming he was a terrorist and al Qa’eda member.
The investor MN, who owns an information technology in Al Nakheel area, lodged a complaint against the 40-year-old Pakistani suspect MR at Naif police station, records said.
According to court records, MR e-mailed two work colleagues here and in the United States, telling them MN was wanted by Interpol because he is a terrorist and an active member of al Qa’eda.
Records said the e-mails allegedly claimed MN also was among those responsible for the 13 bombings in Bombay in March 1993, which were at that point the most destructive terrorist act in Indian history.
MR, a business partner at a transport corporation and a trader in the Dubai gold and commodities exchange, denied the accusations in the Dubai Court of Misdemeanours last week.
He told prosecutors that in January 2010, MN applied for a job at his company in the Hyatt Regency Hotel, but because no opening was available, he was not hired.
Records showed MR said he had looked up MN on Google and found information under his full name saying he had been imprisoned for two years in Abu Dhabi and that he had been a member of al Qa’eda
He added that he e-mailed colleagues, identified in records as M and EA, warning them against hiring MN, his testimony in court records said.
MN, from India, who has been living in the UAE for 25 years and has common work acquaintances with the suspect, told prosecutors that EA met with him in April 2010 and informed him of the e-mails.
He said the messages also included allegations that he had defrauded several banks inside and outside the UAE, records show.
A verdict is expected on March 9.