x Abu Dhabi, UAEWednesday 24 January 2018

Foley rockets Stoke out of the Cup as Chelsea are held

The Hartlepool substitute David Foley dumped Premier League Stoke out of the FA Cup with a superb strike at Victoria Park.

The Hartlepool substitute David Foley dumped Premier League Stoke out of the FA Cup with a superb strike at Victoria Park. With his side already leading through defender Michael Nelson's powerful header four minutes after the break, the striker, 21, blasted a 25-yard shot past goalkeeper Steve Simonsen in the 76th minute to condemn the top-flight strugglers to defeat in front of a delighted crowd of 5,367.

The home side, who play in League One, the third tier of English football, and who parted company with manager Danny Wilson last month, won comfortably as stand-in Chris Turner presided over a second giant-killing act this season following the club's Carling Cup victory over West Brom. Peter Clarke headed home an injury-time equaliser as Southend, 13th in League One, held Chelsea, second in the Premier League, to a 1-1 draw at Stamford Bridge. The Ivory Coast forward Salomon Kalou had put his side ahead on 30 minutes.

There was heartbreak for non-league Forest Green Rovers, who play in the Conference, the fifth level in England as they lost a seven-goal thriller against Championship side Derby County. Forest Green went two up in the first half, through goals from Jonathan Smith (14) and Alex Lawless (20). But Derby, relegated from the Premier League last season, fought back. Rob Hulse and Martin Albrechtsen both scored in the five minutes before half-time. Robert Stonehouse's low shot put Forest Green back ahead on 72 minutes before Paul Green slammed home a flick on four minutes later.Then, just three minutes from the end, Lawless saw red for a foul in the box on Kris Commons and Steve Davies scored the winner from the spot to give Derby a 4-3 victory.

Arsenal looked shaky early on against Championship Plymouth before Robin van Persie inspired his side to victory. He broke the deadlock with a close-range header two minutes after the break before creating the second as David Gray put a cross through his own net three minutes later. Karl Duguid reduced the deficit on 53 minutes but Van Persie made the game safe with five minutes to go. Non-League Torquay defeated Championship Blackpool,1-0 with a goal from Matt Green. Craig Mackail-Smith struck three minutes from the end as Peterbrough, from League One, held Premier League West Brom to a 1-1 draw. In the late game, Liverpool avoided a potential upset by defeating Preston North End 2-0 at Deepdale. Albert Riera gave the visitors a 1-0lead at half-time before Fernando Torres scored his first goal since October 5 with a tap-in to seal the match.

Conference Kettering Town ensured there would be another non-League team in the Fourth Round, after beating Eastwood Town, from the seventh tier UniBond Premier, 2-1. * With agencies