x Abu Dhabi, UAETuesday 25 July 2017

Carlos Tevez hoping to return to Manchester City action

'Sensible discussions' have taken place between the striker and the club, according to his advisor, paving the way for a return to action.

Carlos Tevez said he is willing to return to Manchester City and play for the club again.
Carlos Tevez said he is willing to return to Manchester City and play for the club again.

Manchester City expect Carlos Tevez to report to their Carrington training ground today where he will undergo a series of medical and fitness assessments to gauge his physical condition ahead of a possible return to the team.

Tevez is expected to return to Manchester City and is thought to be keen to make peace with Roberto Mancini, the manager, and help the club in their bid to capture a first English league title in more than 40 years.

After failing to clinch a move to AC Milan in the transfer window and unreceptive to a move to Russia, Tevez appears ready to settle his differences with the club in an attempt to make a return to the team for the league run-in.

The striker, 28, has been embroiled in a long-running feud with the Premier League leaders that intensified in September when he refused to warm up in a Champions League match at Bayern Munich.

His inactivity during a three-month absence of unauthorised leave will preclude any swift assimilation to the first-team squad.

Having initially said it would be “impossible” to welcome Tevez back, Mancini’s stance has relaxed, saying after Sunday’s 1-0 win at Aston Villa that the striker can play a role for City provided he apologises for his insubordination that is believed to have cost him around £10 million (Dh57.8m) in fines or lost earnings.

Speaking last night in an interview broadcast on Fox Sports, Tevez said he would play for City again if Mancini is being sincere.

”If I was wrong, I say sorry. I sincerely believe I did not make a mistake,” the Argentine said. “If it’s true [Mancini would welcome me back], of course I like that, if it’s [meant] for the media, no.”

He added: “I’m prepared to go back and put on the City shirt. I’m going to train, to give my all and be available [for selection]. I can imagine myself going on to the field and I’m going to have to be brilliant [to win over the critics]. It’s not going to be easy for me nor the fans.”

Tevez said Mancini could have dealt with him behind closed doors but instead aired the problem that existed between the two men.

“There the coach made a the coach made a mistake,” Tevez said.

“We have had arguments before, we almost came to blows last season [but] he’s a winner and so am I.”

Paul McCarthy, one of Tevez’s representatives, said earlier yesterday that the two sides had already talked.

“There have been some very sensible discussions ... and I have to say there has been a thawing on both sides,” he said.

“Carlos wants to be back, he wants to be playing football again. Roberto Mancini has more than opened the door for him. Now it’s a case of him getting his fitness back.”

Tevez was the joint-leading scorer in the league last season, along with the Manchester United striker Dimitar Berbatov, with 20 goals but City have coped with his absence, scoring 64 goals in 25 games – the most in the division.