x Abu Dhabi, UAEWednesday 26 July 2017

Attacked cricketer Jesse Ryder says he is 'heaps better' after emerging from coma

The New Zealand all-rounder, who was in hospital after being assaulted last week, has made his first public statement since the attack.

New Zealand cricketer Jesse Ryder.
New Zealand cricketer Jesse Ryder.

Jesse Ryder said he was "heaps better" but "really tired" after issuing his first public statement since the attack which put the New Zealand cricketer in intensive care.

The 28-year-old Wellington all-rounder was admitted to Christchurch Hospital in the early hours of Thursday morning and placed in an induced coma after suffering multiple injuries, including a fractured skull, in an attack outside a bar.

Ryder was yesterday brought out of the coma and is now out of intensive care.

He today he released a statement saying: "I just want to let everyone know that I'm okay. I feel heaps better today but still really tired.

"I've been reading your messages that have been sent so thank you to everyone for thinking of me over the last few days.

"I want to thank everyone who has been caring for me at the hospital - they have been awesome. Thank you to my family and friends who have been here also."

Two men - a 20-year-old and a 37-year-old who police said are related - will appear in court later this week charged with assault.

Police believe Ryder was involved in an altercation with two people outside a bar in the Christchurch suburb of Merivale shortly on Thursday morning, and was then assaulted by one of the two, who followed him towards the car park of a nearby McDonald's.

Ryder, a controversial figure whose career has been plagued by off-field incidents, has not played for New Zealand since February last year.  He had been due to fly out to India this week to play in the Indian Premier League.

sports@thenational.ae

twitter Follow us @SprtNationalUAE