Harry and Meghan: Duke of Sussex joins his family in Canada
Couple were reunited after deciding to step down as working royals
Britain’s Prince Harry has arrived in Canada to join his wife Meghan and eight-month-old son Archie after the couple’s departure from royal life.
Harry landed in Vancouver Island on Monday evening after saying he and Meghan had not wanted to withdraw from royal duties but had “no other option”.
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex will stop using their "royal highness" titles and will no longer represent the monarch from mid-March.
The couple have issued a warning over harassment by paparazzi, who are said to be permanently stationed outside their temporary home in Vancouver, Sky News reported.
Harry and Meghan spoke publicly last year about the pressures of life under intense media scrutiny.
Meghan returned to Canada this month to be with Archie after returning to the UK for a few days after a six-week Christmas break in Vancouver.
Harry had stayed behind in the UK, where he held talks with Queen Elizabeth, Prince Charles and Prince William over his family’s future role in the British royal family.
It is believed the monarch, 93, was caught unaware of the Sussexes’ intention to step back as senior royals, carve out “progressive new roles” in the royal family and divide their time between the UK and North America.
This option was ruled out by Buckingham Palace at the weekend.
Instead, the new arrangement means the couple will be able to earn their own money privately but must repay taxpayers money spent on refurbishing their home near Windsor Castle.
Before flying out to Vancouver, Harry attended the UK-Africa Investment Summit on Monday, where he met British Prime Minister Boris Johnson. The event is likely to be one of his final royal engagements.
Meghan was seen the same day walking her dogs in Vancouver, where the couple are looking for a home to buy.
Questions remain over how the Sussexes will make money and who will pay for their security bill in the UK and Canada.
The couple have trademarked the Sussex Royal name but have promised to uphold the Queen’s values in their commercial ventures.
Opportunities have already arisen, with Netflix’s chief content officer Ted Sarandos declaring his interest in working with Harry and Meghan.
But some royal commentators have suggested the couple should not be allowed to use the “Sussex Royal” name.
“I don't think it's satisfactory. One cannot be two things at once. You either are [royal] or you’re not,” Thomas Woodcock, a senior aide to the Queen, told The Times newspaper.
Another of the monarch’s grandsons was criticised on Tuesday for appearing in a Chinese advertisement for milk.
Peter Phillips, the son of the Queen’s daughter Princess Anne, was reported by the Daily Mail to be “using his royal connections to sell milk on Chinese TV”.
Mr Phillips, 42, is 15th in line to the throne and does not hold a royal title. He appeared in the advertisement for a state-owned dairy company.
The Daily Mail warned Harry and Meghan to take note, saying the move was “lucrative” but “undignified”.
Updated: January 22, 2020 07:42 AM