Donald Trump says US won't pay for Harry and Meghan's security
The couple said they have 'no plans' to ask for US funding after moving to LA
President Donald Trump said on Sunday that the US would not pay security costs for Britain's Prince Harry and his wife Meghan, seeming to confirm that the couple have moved to California.
They reportedly flew by private jet from Canada to Los Angeles before the border between the two countries closed because of the deadly coronavirus outbreak.
The Sussexes said they had no plans to ask for US public funding for their security.
The couple, who had been in Canada for several months, rocked the royal family this year with their decision to no longer represent the British monarchy and to pursue a new, independent life.
"I am a great friend and admirer of the Queen and the United Kingdom," Mr Trump tweeted.
"It was reported that Harry and Meghan, who left the kingdom, would reside permanently in Canada.
"Now they have left Canada for the US. However, the US will not pay for their security protection. They must pay."
Mr Trump's comments followed an announcement by the Canadian government last month that it would stop assisting with the Sussexes' security.
The couple, in a statement released through a spokesperson, said: "The duke and duchess have no plans to ask the US government for security resources. Privately funded security arrangements have been made."
Meghan grew up in Los Angeles and her mother, Doria Ragland, still lives in the city.
The former actress has a network of friends and work contacts in Los Angeles, where she could restart her career.
Disney announced on Thursday that she will narrate a new film about a family of African elephants.
Harry was reportedly caught in a hoax telephone call recently in which he attacked Mr Trump for his stance on climate change.
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex will formally retire from royal duties on March 31.
Updated: March 30, 2020 05:53 PM