Saudi border patrol ordered to shoot on sight
RIYADH // Saudi border guards have been given orders to shoot infiltrators on sight after three troopers were killed on the Iraqi frontier earlier this month.
The orders apply to guards patrolling the southern border with Yemen as well as the northern frontier with Iraq, Major General Mohammed Al Ghamdi said.
Senior commander General Odah Al Balawi was among the three border guards killed in the January 5 clash with four Saudi infiltrators, two of whom blew themselves up.
“After that, we will not negotiate with anyone,” Maj Gen Ghamdi said.
“We will shoot them directly without any warning, without any negotiation.”
He said security officers on the Iraqi side had been told of the new orders.
No group has claimed responsibility for the border clash.
Maj Gen Ghamdi said he did not know if the terrorists were connected to ISIL, but they came from the direction of Iraq and tried to enter through an official crossing in the Arar region.
Saudi Arabia, along with the UAE, is one of the Arab countries taking part in US-led airstrikes against ISIL in Syria.
Officers tried to stop the infiltrators after spotting them on infra-red cameras, shooting two of them dead.
Thousands of riyals were found on their bodies, suggesting they had hoped to reach a target elsewhere in the kingdom, Maj Gen Ghamdi said.
Security officers later arrested seven suspected associates of the four infiltrators.
For security reasons, the officer declined to say how many officers are stationed on the frontier.
Last September, the kingdom inaugurated the first stage of a protective fence and surveillance system stretching for about 900 kilometres along the northern desert frontier.
“It’s very high-tech,” Maj Gen Ghamdi said.
The shoot on sight order also applies to the southern border with Yemen, where Al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula has established a major presence amid deepening instability.
* Agence France-Presse
Updated: January 19, 2015 04:00 AM