Abu Dhabi, UAEWednesday 5 August 2020

CORONAVIRUS

Yemen reports its first two deaths from coronavirus

Ministry of Health says five new cases were discovered in Aden

Yemen has confirmed six cases of coronavirus. One person has recovered, while two have died. EPA
Yemen has confirmed six cases of coronavirus. One person has recovered, while two have died. EPA

Yemen’s Ministry of Public Health announced on Wednesday that there were five new Covid-19 cases in the port city of Aden, two of whom became the country's first reported deaths from the coronavirus.

On Tuesday authorities announced that Yemen's first Covid-19 patient, in Hadramawt province, had fully recovered and was sent home.

Dr Jamal Khadabakhish, director of public health in Aden, told The National that the surviving three of the five new cases were being treated in hospital.

“Many cases suffering severe inflammations in the respiratory system have been tested and many of those who were in contact with the recorded cases were quarantined in their homes,” Dr Khadabakhish said.

A medical source in Aden said all the newly recorded cases were detected in Al Mansourah district of northern Aden.

“The two cases who died are brothers," the source said. "They were suffering severe breathing difficulties and high temperature.

"Both were transferred to a private hospital in Al Mansourah city where they died on Monday and Tuesday."

The hospital where most of the cases were detected closed its doors earlier on Wednesday.

Management said the hospital was not ready to receive any more patients because of a lack of protective equipment and other safety measures for the team in the emergency room.

Updated: April 30, 2020 01:14 AM

SHARE

SHARE

Most Popular