UAE 'optimistic' about meeting between Yemeni government and STC
Yemen must have a united front to combat Houthi rebels, said Dr Anwar Gargash
The UAE is confident about the success of a meeting between members of the Yemeni government and the Southern Transitional Council in Jeddah on Wednesday, Minister of State for Foreign Affairs Dr Anwar Gargash said.
Both Abu Dhabi and Riyadh have called for the two sides to attend reconciliation talks in Jeddah so they could resume their united front against the Houthi rebels.
The call came after fighting between pro-government forces and those loyal to the STC erupted in Aden.
“We look forward with confidence and optimism to the success of the Jeddah meeting between our brotherly government and the STC, it will double our efforts to have a united front against the Houthis. This is a priority,” Dr Gargash said on Twitter.
Saudi Arabia is leading the Arab Coalition, which includes the UAE, and has been fighting in Yemen on behalf of the internationally recognised government since 2015, after the Houthis seized the capital Sanaa in 2014.
“We thank the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia for politically and militarily leading the coalition,” Dr Gargash said.
The meeting is expected to take place on Wednesday but government sources told The National that talks “will not easily happen without withdrawals”.
The UAE remains committed to Saudi Arabia's proposals for talks to take place between the two sides in the Kingdom.
The UAE has repeatedly said that it is up to the Yemenis to resolve the conflict and the international community must spare no effort in its support for a peaceful resolution.
Dr Gargash called for talks to take place earlier this month but they have been delayed by repeated clashes in Aden and other southern cities.
Both Riyadh and Abu Dhabi maintain that dialogue is the only way to end the crisis.
On a visit to Saudi Arabia last month, US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo emphasised the importance of a negotiated resolution.
The development comes as Saudi Arabia's Air Forces intercepted a Houthi missile aimed at the Kingdom late on Wednesday.
The Iran-backed rebels launched the missile from Yemen's northern province of Saadaa.
The Houthis have stepped up cross-border missile and drone attacks on Saudi Arabia in recent months.
Updated: September 4, 2019 06:45 PM