Palestinian rockets strike Israel after Gaza border clash
No immediate claim for rocket fire, which seemed to be to avenging death of militant
Palestinian militants fired about 20 rockets towards southern Israel on Sunday, hours after Israel said it killed a man who tried to place a bomb along the Israel-Gaza barrier fence.
There was no immediate claim for the rocket fire but it appeared to be meant to avenge the militant's death.
Palestinians were furious over the image of the man's body dangling off the front of an Israeli bulldozer, which had crossed into Gaza to retrieve it.
It also drew criticism for the territory's Hamas rulers for not responding. Israel said another militant was shot and wounded in the clash.
The Israeli military reported air raid sirens throughout southern Israel, and said at least 20 rockets had been fired.
There were no reports of damage or injuries on the Israeli side, but it was the heaviest barrage of rocket fire in several months.
Israel and the Islamic Jihad group engaged in a heavy round of fighting last November after the military killed a top commander.
Since then, Israel and the more powerful Hamas group have been working through Egyptian mediators to cement an informal cease-fire. But Islamic Jihad has continued to try to carry out attacks.
It said a man killed in boundary fence clashes was a militant.
Shortly afterwards, amateur video on Palestinian social media showed an Israeli bulldozer crossing into Gaza and then lifting up the body of the militant.
Fawzi Barhoum, a spokesman for Hamas, accused the Israeli military of abusing the corpse, and said it "bears the consequences of the ugly crime".
The military said it was removing the body in a way that prevented further danger to those around.
But the images generated widespread anger in Gaza, where it was seen as a provocation and breach of Islamic principles that call for respect for the dead.
It also sparked criticism of Hamas on social media, with people accusing the group of appearing weak and allowing Israel to operate with impunity inside Gaza's territory.
Israeli Defence Minister Naftali Bennett rejected the criticism, noting that Hamas has been holding the bodies of two Israeli soldiers since they were killed in the 2014 Gaza war.
"I back the military that killed the terrorists and collected the body," he said. "That's what should be done and that is what was done."
The incident comes amid a relative lull along the security fence separating Israel from Gaza.
Last week, Israel announced it would provide hundreds of additional work permits for Palestinians in the Gaza Strip, in a step aimed at strengthening an informal ceasefire with the Hamas.
Tens of thousands of Gazans used to work in Israel. But Israel virtually sealed the border when it joined Egypt in imposing a crippling blockade on Gaza after Hamas seized power from rival Palestinian forces in 2007.
The blockade, along with three wars between Hamas and Israel, has devastated the economy in Gaza, where unemployment is more than 50 per cent.
Updated: February 23, 2020 11:54 PM