Kuwait's emir Sheikh Sabah makes first public appearance since health scare
Report of medical 'setback' suffered by Kuwaiti ruler had sparked concerns
Kuwaiti emir Sheikh Sabah appeared in public on Monday for the first time after recent health problems.
Sheikh Sabah met with the crown prince, Shiekh Nawaf Al Ahmad, Prime Minister Sheikh Jaber Al Mubarak and other senior government officials at the Bayan Palace, the state-run Kuna news agency reported.
Sheikh Sabah, 90, appeared healthy and spoke briefly in a video released by authorities.
Kuwait said on August 18 that the emir had suffered a medical "setback" but had recovered. The Acting Emiri Diwan Minister, Mohammad Sharar, said the ruler had undergone a medical check-up and the results were good.
Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed, Crown Prince of Abu Dhabi and Deputy Supreme Commander of the Armed Forces, phoned Sheikh Sabah last week to inquire about his health.
Sheikh Sabah has ruled Kuwait since January 2006 and is known in the Middle East as a mediator of regional disputes. He has pushed for diplomacy to resolve issues such as the ongoing boycott of Qatar by the UAE, Saudi Arabia, Bahrain and Egypt, and hosted global donor conferences for war-torn nations like Iraq and Syria.
The Kuwaiti ruler warned of the threat to the region posed by escalating US-Iran tensions in a Ramadan address to his people. He paid a brief visit to Baghdad in June amid efforts by the Iraqi government to mediate between Tehran and Washington.
Updated: August 26, 2019 10:53 PM