Khashoggi's son heads to the US after leaving Saudi Arabia
US State Department says Mike Pompeo asked Saudis to lift travel ban on Salah Khashoggi
The United States thanked Saudi Arabia for allowing the son of slain Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi to travel out of the kingdom.
Salah Khashoggi left Saudi Arabia with his family after the authorities revoked a travel ban, enabling him to travel to the United States. However, there was no immediate confirmation that he had arrived in the US or where his destination was, although his late father lived in the Washington area.
Jamal Khashoggi was killed after visiting the Saudi consulate in Istanbul on October 2. Saudi authorities have arrested 18 people over what they initially said was a botched operation by rogue security forces. On Thursday, Saudi prosecutors said they believed the killing was premeditated, based on evidence provided by Turkish investigators.
The US State Department spokesman Robert Palladino said Secretary of State Mike Pompeo had discussed Khashoggi's son during his visit to Riyadh last week and "made it clear" to Saudi leaders that Washington wanted the US-Saudi dual national to be able to leave the kingdom.
"We are pleased that he is now able to do so," Mr Palladino said on Thursday.
Salah Khashoggi met on Tuesday with Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman on a condolence visit.
Updated: October 26, 2018 05:11 PM