Projectile was intercepted by air defence forces before it reached its target of densely populated areas in the kingdom
Houthi missile injures 23 people in Saudi city of Najran
More than 20 people were injured in the southern Saudi city of Najran on Wednesday night after a ballistic missile was launched by Houthi forces in Yemen.
The Saudi-led coalition said the missile was intercepted by air defence forces before reaching its target of densely populated areas in the kingdom.
Those affected on the ground sustained mild injuries when shrapnel from the downed missile fell to earth, according to coalition spokesman Colonel Turki Al Maliki.
“At 8.08pm on Wednesday the Royal Saudi Air Defense Forces spotted the launch of the missile toward Najran and successfully intercepted and destroyed it. Houthi militias have so far fired 189 ballistic missiles toward the kingdom and these have resulted in the death of a total of 112 civilians, including citizens and expatriates, and injury of hundreds of others,” Mr Al Maliki said.
He said this hostile action by the Houthi militia proved the Iranian regime’s continued involvement in supporting the armed group in clear and explicit defiance of the UN resolutions with the aim of threatening the security of not only Saudi Arabia, but also the region and the world.