Egyptian army kills 10 and arrests 400 in Sinai operation
Since the launch of an anti-terrorist campaign last week, at least 38 militants have been killed
Egypt’s security forces killed 10 militants and arrested 400 suspects, including foreigners, in a continuing clampdown in the Sinai Peninsula, the army said on Tuesday.
Since the launch of Operation Sinai 2018 last week, at least 38 militants have been killed in an offensive to defeat militants behind a string of attacks in the country.
On Sunday, the army said in a statement carried by state TV that it had killed 16 militants and arrested 34 suspects. The next day, it said that 12 militants were killed and more than 90 were arrested.
Egyptian President Abdel Fattah El Sisi — who is seeking re-election next month — pledged in November to wipe out terrorist elements “within three months” after militants killed more than 300 people at a mosque in the village of Al Rawdah, in the troubled northern area of the peninsula near Bir El Abd town. No group has claimed responsibility for that attack.
Egypt's security forces have been increasingly targeted by extremists since the army in 2013 overthrew Mr El Sisi's predecessor, president Mohammed Morsi, of the Muslim Brotherhood.
Operation Sinai 2018 will cover large parts of peninsula but also parts of the Nile Delta and the West Desert, where other militants have waged attacks.
Updated: February 13, 2018 12:56 PM