x

Abu Dhabi, UAEWednesday 12 December 2018

UAE, Saudi Arabia add 13 Qatar-linked individuals and entities to terror list

Arab quartet including Bahrain and Egypt said the new additions "perpetrated different acts of terror directly funded by Qatar at various levels"

The Arab quartet has updated their terror lists with 11 new individuals and 2 entities they accuse were funded by Qatar. Kamran Jebreili / AP Photo
The Arab quartet has updated their terror lists with 11 new individuals and 2 entities they accuse were funded by Qatar. Kamran Jebreili / AP Photo

The UAE, Saudi Arabia, Egypt and Bahrain extended their terror lists on Thursday, adding two organisations and 11 individuals they accused of being directly funded by Qatar.

The organisations were promoting terrorism by spreading hate speech under the cloak of Islam to facilitate different terrorist activities, the Arab quartet said.

The individuals listed "perpetrated different acts of terror directly funded by Qatar at various levels, including using Qatari passports and working under the cover of Qatari charitable organisations", the statement said.

In June, the quartet broke diplomatic ties with Qatar and cut off air, sea and land access to the country over Doha’s support for “terrorist groups aiming to destabilise the region”.

Days later, the four countries issued a list of 59 individuals and 12 organisations linking Qatar to terror groups. A number of those names also appeared on terror designation lists from the US treasury, state department and the UN. Most of those names are involved in facilitating and funding extremist groups across the region, especially Al Qaeda's former affiliate in Syria.

________________

Qatar crisis latest

Member of Qatari royal family wants to 'purify' country

Editorial: Enough with the rhetoric. It is time for concrete action by Qatar

Tillerson and Saudi crown prince discuss combating terrorism

________________

The quartet list was expanded on July 25, when 18 names were added.

The latest additions bring the list to 79 individuals and 23 organisations suspected of sponsoring terrorism and linked to Qatar. They include organisations and individuals from nine Arab countries.

In its statement, the quartet accused Doha of failing to take measures to combat terrorist activities.

"The four countries confirm that the Qatari authorities continue to support, sponsor and finance terrorism, encourage extremism and spread hate speech.

"Based on the quartet's monitoring mechanisms, the Qatari authorities have not taken any practical measures to cease terrorist activities.”

The US along with Kuwait have been trying to mediate in the five-month rift with Qatar, the host to the biggest US military base in the Middle East.

The move came days after Saudi foreign minister Adel Al Jubeir said: “We need not to concern ourselves with the Qatari subject”.

The boycott halted supplies from crossing from Saudi Arabia into Qatar through its only land border. Qatar has been forced to import goods from Turkey and Iran at ten times the cost. Its main route for imports by sea through the UAE’s Jebel Ali port was also cut.

Two months into the dispute, Qatar turned to the World Trade Organization to try to tackle the boycott claiming it was the victim of an "illegal siege".

Last month, Doha made an initial request for its case to be held before a dispute settlement panel.

On Wednesday, Qatar made the request a second time after the UAE blocked the initial attempt. According to the WTO's rules a second request meant a panel had to be created to consider the complaint.

No other WTO members spoke up in support of the move, according to Reuters. The UAE has already said it plans to thwart the Qatari litigation by resorting to the WTO’s national security exception - something never before tested as a defence in WTO litigation.

The WTO's dispute settlement process can take months, if not years, with initial rulings typically subject to appeal.

Countries on Wednesday advised against taking up the claims at the trade organisation, with China and the US saying it is not the place to address the Qatar dispute.

Sheikh Sabah, the emir of Kuwait and chief mediator in the crisis, sent a letter to King Salman of Saudi Arabia on Thursday delivered by Sheikh Sabah Al Khaled, Kuwait's foreign minister.

It was not clear if the letter was related to Qatar, but earlier in the week, the Qatari emir, Sheikh Tamim, sent his brother to deliver a message to Sheikh Sabah, believed be related to the GCC summit.

The annual meeting was meant to take place in Kuwait next month but Bahrain said last month it will boycott the event if Qatar attends.

Additions to the terror list

Entities

1 The International Islamic Council "Massaa'"

2 World Union of Muslim Scholars

Individuals

1 Khaled Nazem Diab

2 Salem Jaber Omar Ali Sultan Fathallah Jaber

3 Moyasar Ali Musa Abdullah Jubouri

4 Mohammed Ali Saeed Atm

5 Hassan Ali Mohammed Juma Sultan

6 Mohammed Suleiman Haidar Mohammed Al Haydar

7 Mohammed Jamal Ahmed Hishmat Abdul Hamid

8 Alsayed Mahmoud Ezzat Ibrahim Eissa

9 Yahya Alsayed Ibrahim Mohamed Moussa

10 Qadri Mohamed Fahmy Mahmoud Al Sheikh

11 Alaa Ali Ali Mohammed Al Samahi