UAE's Gargash denies reports of tension with Saudi Arabia
The UAE minister said that Iran was behind such false reports
UAE’s Minister of State for Foreign Affairs Anwar Gargash denied on Wednesday reports of tension between the emirates and Saudi Arabia.
Lebanese newspaper Al Akhbar, which is close to the Iranian-backed Hezbollah militia, said that the UAE was not content with Saudi Arabia’s policies.
“Iranian sources, such as Fars News Agency and Al Akhbar newspaper, constantly spread fake news against the UAE and the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia,” tweeted Dr Gargash.
“Enquiry about the propagators is underway to evaluate the extent of fact distortion against us.”
King Salman of Saudi Arabia denounced earlier this week Iran’s “blatant interference” in Arab affairs.
He told leaders at the Arab Summit in Riyadh that Tehran was to blame for instability and meddling in the region.
“We renew our strong condemnation of Iran's terrorist acts in the Arab region and reject its blatant interference in the affairs of Arab countries," he said.
The King noted that Yemen’s Houthi rebels, backed by Iran, had fired 116 missiles at the kingdom since Saudi Arabia went to war in Yemen three years ago at the request of the internationally-recognised government to try to roll back the rebels’ gains there.
Meanwhile, Syria's war, the most complex of the region's conflicts, is the main point of contention pitting Riyadh and its allies against Syrian regime backer Iran and its Lebanese ally, Hezbollah.
Updated: April 18, 2018 01:42 PM