Three arrested over attack on Saudi students in Washington
One in a coma in the US capital after suffering a blow to the head
US authorities have arrested three men believed to be responsible for attacks on three Saudi students in the US capital, the Saudi embassy in Washington said.
Mazen Al Muzaini and Saud Al Shimmiri received medical attention directly after the attacks, with Mr Al Muzaini being kept in a medically induced coma after suffering internal bleeding and a cracked skull.
The third student, whose name has not been released by authorities, was unharmed and managed to record the incident. He submitted the evidence of the attack to the police.
The Saudi embassy has appointed a lawyer to the trial against the "gang" believed to be behind the assault.
Mr Al Shimmiri is out of the hospital after suffering fractures and bruises. Mr Al Muzaini’s wife left Saudi Arabia to be with her husband, who is being cared for in an intensive care unit at George Washington Hospital.
The attack was prompted by a "football dispute" while the three Saudi students were leaving a cafe last week, according to local sources.
Mr Al Muzaini's wife told local newspapers that the attackers, who were from North Africa, rolled up to the three students in a car and began attacking them as they returned home.
The Saudi embassy is following the case and checking on the victims of the attack.
The lawyers assigned to the case will file charges during a preliminary trial scheduled to be held on August 13.
Updated: July 29, 2018 04:07 PM