Abu Dhabi, UAEFriday 20 September 2019

Saudi-led coalition shoots down six Houthi missiles

Earlier on Sunday, the kingdom foiled a drone attack from the Iran-backed Yemen rebels

Saudi border guards keep watch along the border with Yemen in southern Jazan province. AFP 
Saudi border guards keep watch along the border with Yemen in southern Jazan province. AFP 

The Saudi-led coalition intercepted six ballistic missiles launched by the Iran-backed Houthi rebels in Yemen on Sunday evening.

The missiles were launched from the Saada province against civilians in Jizan city, in the south-west of the kingdom, coalition spokesman Col Turki Al Malki told the Saudi News Agency.

Col Al Malki denounced the attacks, saying the Houthis’ “hostile and terrorist acts have been rated as war crimes according to the humanitarian international law”.

In response, the UAE condemned the attacks and offered its support.

“The UAE reiterates its full solidarity with Saudi Arabia over the terrorist attacks against civilians and offers its full support in all the measures to ensure the protection of the Kingdom's stability and to counter terrorism,” the Ministry of Foreign Affairs said on Monday, according to the state news agency.

The Houthi attacks show the danger the region faces from rebels in Yemen, the ministry said.

The news comes as coalition forces intercepted and shot down two Houthi drones launched towards the kingdom from Yemen on Sunday evening.

There were no immediate details about any casualties or damage.

Earlier on Sunday, the coalition shot a drone launched by Houthi rebels towards Khamis Mushait in south-west Saudi Arabia.

Saudi Arabia, with allies including the UAE, Sudan and Senegal, have been fighting for the internationally recognised Yemeni government against the rebels since 2015.

The rebels, who seized the Yemeni capital Sanaa in 2014, have increased drone and missile attacks on Saudi Arabia in recent months.

While most were intercepted, some have caused deaths and injuries, including two strikes on Abha airport in June and July.

The escalation in violence undermines UN attempts to put into effect a ceasefire in the port city of Hodeidah, the main entry point for desperately needed food and aid.

The truce brokered in Sweden last December was seen as a first step towards a political resolution to the conflict.

Updated: August 26, 2019 02:08 PM

SHARE

SHARE