Oman confirms first coronavirus death
A 72-year-old man has died as the country braces for a surge in cases
Oman's Ministry of Health has confirmed the country's first death from coronavirus, a 72-year-old man.
Oman currently has 192 cases of the virus and 45 recoveries.
The ministry extended "its deepest sympathies" to the man's family in a statement shared on Twitter.
It came as the country confirmed a baby tested positive for the virus, which is spreading across the world at a rapid pace. There are now more than 850,000 cases worldwide, resulting in more than 42,000 deaths. At least 178,000 people have recovered.
Omani Minister of Health Dr Ahmed Mohammed Al Saidi said in a radio interview broadcast by local newspaper Al Shabibam that the baby was "doing well” and had mild symptoms.
He said the country had registered another 13 cases.
While for most people, coronavirus causes mild or moderate symptoms, such as fever and cough, for others, especially older adults and people with existing health problems, it can lead to severe conditions such as pneumonia.
Last week Oman banned public gatherings, began a lockdown and instructed government agencies to reduce staff levels to 30 per cent.
Dr Al Saidi also said he expected the virus to peak by mid-April, but that there would be a surge in the next two weeks because of the arrival of Omani students from abroad.
Updated: April 1, 2020 11:56 AM