Kuwait emir travels to US for further treatment after surgery
Sheikh Sabah's medical team advises trip after successful operation
The Kuwaiti Emir, Sheikh Sabah, left for the US on Thursday for more medical treatment days after being admitted to hospital for surgery, the state news agency reported.
Sheikh Sabah, 91, is travelling to the US on the advice of his medical team after undergoing a successful operation on Sunday, Kuna reported. He had been admitted to hospital the previous day for medical checks.
The report gave no further information about his condition.
Kuna said Sheikh Sabah was seen off at the airport by his half-brother, Crown Prince Nawaf Al Ahmad Al Sabah, who temporarily assumed some of the emir’s duties after a royal decree on Saturday. National Assembly Speaker Marzouq Al Ghanim, Prime Minister Sheikh Sabah Khaled Al Hamad Al Sabah and cabinet ministers and state officials were also present.
The emir is being accompanied by the deputy National Guard chief Sheikh Mishaal Al Ahmad Al Jaber Al Sabah, Kuna said.
The Kuwaiti Minister of Court Affairs, Sheikh Ali Jarrah Al Sabah, wished the Ruler a “rapid recovery and well-being”.
Officials around the region have contacted the emir to wish him a quick recovery.
The President of the UAE, Sheikh Khalifa, sent a message of congratulations to the emir on his successful operation and wished him a “speedy recovery and continuous good health”.
Sheikh Sabah, who has ruled Kuwait since 2006, was last year admitted to hospital in the US while on an official visit, after suffering what his office described as a health setback in August.
Sheikh Sabah returned to Kuwait in October.
Updated: July 26, 2020 01:26 PM