Child in Saudi Arabia injured by Houthi rocket from Yemen
Five-year-old was taken to hospital after the Katyusha rocket struck
A five-year-old was wounded when a rocket was fired by Yemeni Houthi rebels towards Saudi Arabia’s southern Jizan province, Saudi authorities said.
A civil defence official said on Tuesday that the child was taken to hospital after the Katyusha rocket struck, reported the state-run Saudi Press Agency.
The Iran-backed group has intensified missile attacks against Saudi Arabia in recent months.
The Arab Coalition – which includes the kingdom and the UAE – intervened in the Yemen war in March 2015 at the request of the internationally-recognised government of President Abdrabu Mansur Hadi. The alliance is backing forces of the government, which the rebels ousted from areas of the country including the capital, Sanaa.
Saudi forces have shot down Houthi missiles with Patriot surface-to-air missiles purchased from the US.
The latest strike comes after Yemeni pro-government forces – backed by the coalition – paused their offensive against the Houthis in the key port city of Hodeidah, from where almost 80 per cent of commercial imports enter the country.
Minister of State for Foreign Affairs Anwar Gargash said the campaign was paused to help efforts by UN Special Envoy Martin Griffiths to “achieve an unconditional Houthi withdrawal from Hodeidah city and port”.
Hodeidah port was also being used by the rebels to smuggle weapons provided by Tehran into Yemen.
Saudi Arabia earlier this year tested a new air raid early warning system for the capital, Riyadh, and the oil-rich Eastern Province. On June 24, Saudi air defences intercepted two missiles over Riyadh but no casualties were reported, state media said.
Updated: July 4, 2018 03:16 PM