x Abu Dhabi, UAESunday 23 July 2017

Norway mass killer returns to island for reconstruction

Held tightly on a police leash, the Norwegian man who confessed to killing 69 people at an island youth camp has reconstructed his actions for police back at the crime scene.

The bomb and terror suspect Anders Behring Breivik leaves court in Oslo on July 25 in a police car.
The bomb and terror suspect Anders Behring Breivik leaves court in Oslo on July 25 in a police car.

OSLO // Held tightly on a police leash, the Norwegian man who confessed to killing 69 people at an island youth camp has reconstructed his actions for police back at the crime scene.

Police said yesterday they took Anders Behring Breivik back to the island of Utoeya on Saturday for a hearing about the July 22 attacks, when Breivik shot the victims dead on the lake island near Oslo after killing another eight people in the capital with a bomb.

The 32-year-old described the killings in detail during an eight-hour tour on the island together with 10 to 12 police, the prosecutor Paal-Fredrik Hjort Kraby told a press conference in Oslo.

The hearing took place amid a tight security that aimed to avoid escape attempts by Breivik and protect him against potential avengers. "The suspect showed he wasn't emotionally unaffected by being back at Utoeya ... but didn't show any remorse," Mr Hjort Kraby said.

Breivik walked roughly the same route as the one he took during the shooting spree and explained what happened with as little interference as possible from police, Mr Hjort Kraby said. The entire hearing was filmed by police and will later be used in court, he added. Images of the reconstruction published in the Norwegian daily VG show Breivik simulating shots into the water, where panicked teenagers tried to escape from him.

It had been arranged to avoid the need for a reconstruction in the midst of the trial and to make the suspect remember more details, Mr Hjort Kraby said.

* Associated Press