Abu Dhabi, UAEFriday 23 August 2019

Judge investigating Tariq Ramadan case loses laptop in burglary

The laptop contains sensitive data, French media reported

Swiss scholar Tariq Ramadan. AP
Swiss scholar Tariq Ramadan. AP

The home of one of the magistrates investigating rape charges against Islamic scholar Tariq Ramadan was burgled last week, French media reported on Sunday.

Quoting an unnamed police source, French news website Europe 1 said a laptop with sensitive information had been taken during the burglary, which took place while the magistrate was on holiday. The device was said to have been turned off and was protected with an access code.

As well as the laptop, other missing items included silverware, jewellery and a games console.

Three magistrates have been assigned to investigating the case of Tariq Ramadan, who has been charged with raping two women in France in 2009 and 2012. He has also faced similar allegations in Switzerland.

The Oxford University professor was detained in French custody from February but was released on bail nine months later. As part of his bail conditions, he has surrendered his passport and must report to a police station every week.

_______________

Read more:

Tariq Ramadan wins bail in France rape case

Tariq Ramadan admits ‘consensual’ sex with accusers after text messages unearthed

_______________

Once a successful academic with a large following, Mr Ramadan, a Swiss national, had to step down from his teaching post after he was hit with a number of sexual misconduct accusations in the wake of the “Me Too” movement.

Among his many accusers is Henda Ayari, a feminist activist, and a disabled woman identified as “Christelle” by French media.

Mr Ramadan denies charges that he raped the two women in hotel rooms but was forced to drop assertions that he had no sexual contact with them after investigators found 399 text messages between the academic and Christelle. Mr Ramadan later said the sexual contact had been "consensual".

Supporters of Mr Ramadan, a married father of four, say he is the victim of a smear campaign conducted by his enemies. His wife and children have continued to support him throughout his legal challenges.

Updated: January 7, 2019 07:02 PM

SHARE

SHARE