The mother was killed in Jalalabad this week while the father died in a bombing three years ago
Six-year-old Afghan girl orphaned in ISIS attack
The ISIS attack in Jalalabad on Tuesday killed a young Afghan UN worker who lost her husband in a bombing three years ago, leaving their 6-year-old daughter an orphan.
The International Organisation for Migration confirmed the death of the woman, who was not identified, among at least 13 civilians killed in the raid.
"This young woman, who was 22, lost her husband in a bombing in Kabul three years ago. She leaves behind a 6-year old daughter, now an orphan," the IOM said.
The agency said it would not release further details, to protect the family's safety.
Another IOM employee was among at least 20 people injured when militants set off several explosions before storming the refugees and repatriations department in the capital of Nangarhar province.
"It is a loss for IOM, our partners and Afghanistan," said IOM director general William Swing. "Everyone in IOM is thinking of our colleagues working in difficult conditions across the country on behalf of the Afghan people in the aftermath of this senseless attack.”
The International Rescue Committee said it also lost an employee. He was identified as Fareedullah Noori, a water, sanitation and hygiene engineer who had worked for the IRC since 2010.
"As one of our lead responders to humanitarian needs in Nangarhar, Fareed was representing IRC at an emergency meeting at the time of the attack. He was killed doing the work of helping others, which he was so committed to," the NGO said.
Attacks by ISIS in recent years have added to the civilian death toll from the insurgency waged by the Afghan Taliban, which was toppled in a United States-led invasion in 2001.
The UN last month said the number of Afghan civilians killed in the first half of this year was the highest since 2009.
Foreign civilians have also been targeted, with three employees of a catering firm kidnapped and killed in Kabul on Thursday.
Afghan officials said the victims were a Malaysian national, 64, an Indian, 39, and a Macedonian, 37. The three men worked as cooks for food and catering services company Sodexo at Kabul airport.
There was no immediate claim of responsibility for their deaths.