The long awaited shuffle of Indian prime minister Mammohan Singh's cabinet was announced yesterday.
Singh's new cabinet
- Salman Khurshid, 59, replaces SM Krishna, 80, as new foreign minister. Mr Khurshid was formerly India's law and justice minister.
- Ashwani Kumar, 59, was named for law and justice.
- M Veerappa Moily, 72, was named for the ministry of petroleum and natural gas.
- K Chiranjeevi, a popular South Indian actor turned politician, was named minister of state for tourism.
- Shashi Tharoor, 56, is now a junior cabinet minister for human resource development, that oversees education and literacy. Mr Tharoor was the junior minister for foreign affairs until 2010, then resigned over allegations that he used his position to gain shares in a cricket franchise.
- Rahman Khan was named as minority affairs minister.
- Ajay Maken is the housing minister.
- Dinsha Patel is the mines minister. - Pallam Raju was named human resources development minister.
- Harish Rawat was placed in charge of water resources.
- Chandresh Kumari was appointed culture minister.
- Pawan Kumar Bansal was named new railways minister.