Boracay patrolled by gun-wielding police as Philippines tourist 'paradise' shuts down
President Rodrigo Duterte ordered the shutdown this month after calling the resort a 'cesspool'
The Philippines closed its most famous holiday island to tourists on Thursday for a six-month clean-up, which the government has imposed with a muscular show of its security forces.
Coast guard boats were on patrol along Boracay's blue waters and assault-rifle wielding police were posted at entry points to the once-pristine island that has become tainted by heavy commercialisation and overdevelopment.
Regional police head Cesar Binag said the closure began after midnight, with tourists barred from boarding the ferry that is the main access on to the island.
"Boracay is officially closed to tourists. We are not closing establishments but tourists cannot enter. We are implementing the instruction of the president," Mr Binag said.
About 600 policemen were deployed, with some performing security drills including riot officers battling bottle-hurling protesters and mock hostage taking of sunbathers - all before startled locals.
"It looks like we are at war," Jessica Gabay, a grocery seller, said on Wednesday. "Maybe the authorities are doing this to instill fear so people will follow the rules."
The government conceded on Thursday there was no real threat, with interior ministry assistant secretary Epimaco Densing saying that the security presence was "just part of preparing for the worst".
President Rodrigo Duterte ordered the shutdown this month after calling the resort a "cesspool", dirtied by tourism-related businesses dumping raw sewage directly into the ocean.
During the closure only residents with ID cards are allowed to board ferries to the tiny island that is home to about 40,000 people.
On Thursday morning, police began patrolling the beach to enforce a rule prohibiting swimming except in one designated area.
Boats are barred from sailing within three kilometres of the shoreline and only Boracay residents are allowed to fish its waters.
The Philippines has pledged to use the closure to shore up the island's infrastructure, bulldoze illegal structures and clean up the mess left by years of unchecked growth.
Resistance was light in the run-up to the closure, with no violent protests and most of the criticism focusing on the fate of roughly 30,000 people employed in the island's bustling tourist trade.
The workers were drawn by the relatively good wages on the island that has seen the number of visitors roughly quadruple to two million since 2006.
Those tourists, a growing number of whom are Chinese and Korean, pumped roughly $1 billion in revenue into the Philippine economy last year.
But its growth from a sleepy backpacker hideaway into a mass-tourism hub with fast food outlets on the beach has taken a toll.
Unchecked construction has eaten away at the island's natural beauty, while slimy algae-filled waves in some areas and mountains of discarded drink bottles are problems acknowledged even by critics of the shutdown.
"I'm all for rehabilitation and preserving it but clearly this is not the way to do it," Philippine politics expert Ashley Acedillo said.
He called the closure an "ill-thought through, unplanned and knee-jerk action" that did not take into account the economic impact on the island's workers and business community.
Updated: April 26, 2018 12:59 PM