Friday talks with Sudan army rulers postponed, protest leaders say
The opposition says it needs more time to resolve differences among its members over the deal
Sudanese protest leaders have postponed talks with the country's military days after signing a power sharing deal, saying that they need more time to reach a consensus on a deal with the country's ruling army leaders.
"The talks have been postponed," said prominent protest leader Omar Al Digeir.
"We need more internal consultation to reach a united vision," he added, with no new date set for negotiations to resume.
Another protest leader, Siddig Youssef, also confirmed the talks had been suspended.
The first part of the deal was signed earlier this week, marking a significant step forward amid simmering tensions between the protest movement and the country's military, which in April ousted Omar Al Bashir.
The two sides were expected to meet on Friday, negotiate and subsequently sign the so-called constitutional declaration that defines how much power each would have in the transitional period until elections are held.
But there has been discord within Forces for the Declaration of Freedom and Change, a coalition of opposition political groups representing the protesters.
Protest leaders said that the three rebel groups that are part of the umbrella protest movement had expressed reservations over Wednesday's deal.
"I'm going to Addis Ababa to meet the Sudan Revolutionary Front to get their opinion," Mr Digeir said, referring to the rebel groups currently based in Ethiopia.
"They are not happy with" the agreement signed with army leaders, Mr Youssef said.
The groups had been fighting government forces for years in the war-torn regions of Darfur, Blue Nile and South Kordofan.
Updated: July 19, 2019 03:39 PM