Aid agency MSF suspends work in part of eastern DR Congo
The charity said it had concerns over the safety of its staff
Medecins Sans Frontieres said on Sunday it suspended non-essential work in part of eastern Democratic Republic of Congo after gunmen abducted two of its local staff there earlier this month.
The agency said it was acting after the February 8 incident in the Masisi district of North Kivu province.
"Out of concern over the safety of its teams, Doctors without Borders has decided to cut back its staff on site," MSF spokeswoman Francine Kongolo told AFP.
Masisi is about 100 kilometres north-west of North Kivu's provincial capital of Goma.
Armed groups in the troubled province frequently abduct foreigners and Congolese citizens working for aid organisations.
Mineral-rich eastern DR Congo has endured armed conflict fuelled by ethnic rivalries and territorial disputes, for more than 20 years.
Updated: February 18, 2019 12:20 PM