x Abu Dhabi, UAEFriday 19 January 2018

Zardari discharged from Dubai hospital

The Pakistani president has moved to his Dubai residence after receiving treatment for a "cardiovascular condition".

DUBAI // The President of Pakistan Asif Ali Zardari has been discharged from hospital and has moved to his Dubai residence, a senior diplomatic source confirmed to The National.

Mr Zardari was receiving treatment for what had been described as a previously diagnosed "cardiovascular condition" at the American Hospital Dubai since last Tuesday.

"The doctors said he was well enough to leave last night and he preferred to be at home so was discharged at around 8.30pm or 9pm," said the diplomatic source who was with the president at the time, and who spoke to The National this morning. "He has absolutely recovered but he will continue on the course of daily medication as prescribed by his doctors.

"The doctors would not have let him leave the hospital if he had not recovered."

Mr Zardari was transferred to his home, believed to be in Emirates Hills, under high security.

"It wasn't heavy security but the level you would expect for a VVIP from the host government and his own people."

Mr Zardari's children were already in Dubai and they would be staying together, the source said.

"He will stay in Dubai before heading home to Pakistan in a couple of days."

The source said that there were no plans for Mr Zardari to go to London for further treatment.

Mr Zardari's spokesman in Pakistan had initially said the 56-year-old would be discharged today but confirmed the earlier move.

"President Asif Ali Zardari has been discharged from hospital and moved to his residence in Dubai," said Farhatullah Babar on Wednesday night.

Yesterday The National saw a bulletin from Dr Khaldoun Taha who treated Mr Zardari at the American Hospital that was released by the Pakistan President's office.

It stated that he had been admitted after reporting "numbness and twitching " in his left arm and a loss of consciousness that lasted for a few seconds.

"Upon arrival to the hospital's Emergency Room, he was fully awake and conscious with stable vital signs," said the bulletin.

"Given his history of heart disease, cardiac and neurologic investigations were carried out which included MRI of the brain, lumbar puncture, 2-D echocardiogram, cartoid Dopplet and complete blood test.

"All investigations were within normal range and he was kept for observation for a few more days and is planned to be discharged on 15 December 2011 to rest at home as advised and to continue on his regular heart medications."