Abu Dhabi, UAESaturday 20 July 2019

UAE survivor of Christchurch mosque shooting recovering well

Business executive Adeeb Sami was shot in the back as he shielded his sons from the gunman

Adeeb Sami, 53, pictured surrounded by his family at Christchurch Hospital, has now been allowed to continue his recovery at home. 
Adeeb Sami, 53, pictured surrounded by his family at Christchurch Hospital, has now been allowed to continue his recovery at home. 

A UAE executive who was lucky to survive after being shot twice in the deadly New Zealand mosque attacks is now recovering well at home.

Adeeb Sami, 53, faces at least three months of recuperation following extensive surgery to repair injuries to his back.

Last week, his daughter, Heba Adeeb, posted a picture of the smiling father-of-four surrounded by his family at Christchurch Hospital.

The engineering director and New Zealand citizen of Iraqi descent has since been allowed to continue his recovery from home.

“We celebrated [his recent birthday] in the hospital,” Ms Adeeb told The National. “At least he’s with us, alive. That’s what matters.”

Mr Sami, who splits his time between New Zealand and the UAE, was in Christchurch in March to celebrate his twin daughter and son’s 23rd birthdays.

As the attack at the Al Noor Mosque in the South Island city unfolded, he shielded two of his sons from the gunman as he himself was shot.

Following the attack, doctors were forced to put him in a medically induced coma to check for signs of internal bleeding.

Ms Adeeb, who lives and works in the UAE, said her father and brothers were lucky to have survived.

“My family: you are my backbone and you are all that matters,” she wrote alongside the Instagram picture of her father sitting up in his hospital bed.

“Together we are stronger. Every lesson in life takes us closer to our path.”

Since the March 15 shooting, police have charged Australian Brenton Tarrant, 28, with 50 counts of murder and 39 counts of attempted murder.

The first attack happened during Friday prayers in central Christchurch. The second attack was carried out shortly afterwards at another mosque in a suburb about 5 kilometres away.

Medical assessments on the suspect's mental health are due to be completed before his next court appearance on June 14.

Updated: April 7, 2019 03:18 PM

SHARE

SHARE