Abu Dhabi, UAEThursday 28 May 2020

UAE family matters Q&As: Adulterous husband files for divorce

A reader asks what her options are if her husband - who has a girlfriend - has filed for divorce.

I am an Asian woman married to a Muslim man and who lives in our home country. He has been living in the UAE for past three years and now has a girlfriend and wants to divorce me. What can I do?

If he has filed for divorce from you, you have the right to claim compensation, Nafakkit Muttaa, from him, as per Article 140 of Federal Law No 28 of 2005, the Personal Status Law. It is also worth mentioning that you have the right to file a criminal case against him for adultery, as per Article 356 of UAE Federal Law No 3 of 1987, the Penal Code, if you have proof that he has been having a physical relationship with another woman inside the UAE. However, you should note that if your husband and girlfriend are found guilty both of them will have to be deported, according to Article 121 of the Penal Code. If they are found guilty, the judge has the discretion to set the jail sentence but does not have the power to remove the deportation order.

I am a divorced Muslim man whose ex-wife has the custody of our 3-and-a-half-year-old child and has done so for more than 2 years. Do I have to pay her financial support including utility bills and property rent charges? Does she have the right to claim such expenses or am I only obliged to pay the child’s expenses for food, clothing and school fees?

As per Articles 63, 78 and 148 of UAE Federal Law No 28 of 2005 - Personal Status Law - a child’s expenses incorporate food, clothing, education expenses, electricity and water expenses and rental amounts. Therefore, it is your obligation to pay the electricity and rent charges as a means of child support mandated by UAE law.

If you have a question for our legal consultant, email media@professionallawyer.me with the subject line ‘Family Matters’.

Updated: October 19, 2016 04:00 AM



Most Popular