Two Dubai candidates withdraw from FNC election race
Another election hopeful was warned after failing to follow election instructions
Two candidates in Dubai pulled out of the Federal National Council election race after the final list of candidates was announced earlier this month.
Their exit reduced the number of Emirati election hopefuls to 493. The Dubai Election Committee did not disclose their reasons for withdrawing from the race.
Candidates have up to September 15 to withdraw their applications.
Ahmed bin Humaidan, chairman of the Dubai Election Committee, told Arabic-language newspaper Al Ittihad, that another contender had received a warning for "violating FNC election executive instructions".
He did not reveal the nature of the offence.
Mr bin Humaidan urged candidates to adhere to instructions issued by the committee and guidelines set down by the National Election Commission.
“The election committee in Dubai is monitoring the election campaigns and candidates' compliance with the issued regulations,” he said.
He said the committee had approved 47 election plans submitted by candidates and authorised 18 campaign sites.
“The committee continues to receive applications for electoral campaigns, as well as requests for licensing campaign sites. We are calling on the remaining candidates not to start their campaigns before getting the committee’s approval,” said Mr bin Humaidan.
More than 330,000 Emiratis, about a quarter of the Emirati population, were eligible to run in the October 5 election.
A total of 20 seats on the legislative council will be decided by public vote, with the remaining 20 to be decided by ruling sheikhs from the emirates.
Updated: September 10, 2019 03:20 PM