Britons who are travelling to the UAE should be aware of the following travel advice.
Travel tips for Brits abroad
The British Foreign and Commonwealth Office offers the following pointers on their website to Britons who are travelling to the UAE:
- UAE airports have excellent security. Transiting passengers carrying even residual amounts of drugs are arrested.
- Bad language, rude gestures and public displays of affection are all frowned upon and may carry criminal charges.
- The importation of narcotics, pork products and pornography into the UAE is illegal.
- Women should dress modestly in public. Clothes should cover the tops of arms and legs, and underwear should not be visible.
- Non-payment of bills (including hotel bills) is regarded seriously in the UAE and can often result in imprisonment and/or a fine.
- Photography of certain government buildings and military installations is not permitted. Do not photograph people without their permission.
* Maey El Shoush